Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Time Al Roker Didn't Let Me Down

A few days ago, my wife showed me a Buffalo Chicken Calzone recipe making the rounds on Facebook (click here to see recipe). The recipe looked good to us, except for ranch dressing. There's no chance in H E double hockey sticks of using ranch dressing in a Buffalo anything recipe. We live in the greater Buffalo area, fyi. The interesting thing is that Al Roker doesn't appear to use ranch. He uses cream cheese (fine by me) and shredded mozzarella. Watch the video: he's solid in putting together the calzones while doing happy talk with Dylan and Tamron. I followed Al's lead and also added blue cheese dressing to my mix (I like the Marie's brand). Al went heavy on the hot sauce. I dialed it back a notch with our two kids in mind. Don't forget to put olive oil on the calzones, that's key. I think Al's look better than mine, but I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out. I make pizza all the time, but this was the first time I made calzones. I cut these in half. We had plenty for dinner and enough for lunch tomorrow. I used whatever pasta sauce I had in the house for dipping. All in all, Al didn't steer me wrong. I'll be speeding down Calzone Highway again soon. Oh, forgot to mention I served the calzones with carrots on the side just to feel better about things. You can always count on me to indulge in carbs and cheese and then be like "Hey but I also ate carrots, so I'm good." One other note: all this from one 16 ounce package of pizza dough.


No comments:

Post a Comment