Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Things We Hold Onto

Went through some old boxes of memories and started throwing stuff away. It was time to let some shit go. It felt liberating. I did hold onto a few things.

This is a journal entry from October 29, 1994. I had just finished taking a road trip across the country with two friends. I graduated from college earlier in the year, and spent the summer working at a pizzeria on Pine Avenue in my hometown Niagara Falls, NY to earn some money for our trip.

I got a job as a counselor at a residence for at-risk and disadvantaged children soon after writing this entry. By the fall of 1995, I was in graduate school at Stony Brook University when I began working toward my Ph.D. in Sociology.

Fast forward to 2014. I'm 41, married nine years with two kids. Life is good. What they say is true: time flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment